Happy New Year! I hope all of you had a fun and safe New Year's Eve and that you're ready for whatever the Lord has in store for the upcoming year... I was thinking about it today and realized that it is incredible how much can happen and how much our lives can change in only one year. I hope our new Scripture memory challenge will equip us for whatever lies ahead!
I'll be working on 2 Corinthians 10:4-5 (ESV).
"For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ."
I know I'm already breaking the rules by attempting to work on more than one verse, but I wanted to do verse 5 to go along with the theme of this blog. Then when I read verse 4, I couldn't leave it out!
Now it's your turn! If you're comfortable with it, please post your name (first name is fine), location, verse, and Bible translation. Also, since this is a smaller community with fewer posts to read, feel free to share encouragement to others and/or why you chose your verse.
To post a comment, scroll to the bottom of the post and find the link that tells how many comments are available. For instance, if it says "2 Comments," you should be able to click on that to read the posts that have already been shared by others. Then there should be a box where you can create and share your own thoughts...
Ready, set, memorize! :)
Charli - "But now Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you." Psalm 39:7, NIV.
ReplyDeleteI think this might be my theme song. This year I hope to not only ask for direction from God, but to actually stick around and listen for His answer. ;)
Traci; Birmingham, AL
ReplyDeleteRevelation 22:20 "He who testifies to these things says, 'Surely I am coming soon.' Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!"
Kristin, Helena
ReplyDeleteProverbs 2:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; (NIV)
Kristin, Helena ^above! is a little slow getting started today.... Proverbs 3:5! Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding (NIV)
ReplyDeleteLiz,Birmingham, AL
ReplyDeletePhilippians 4:8 "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable---if anything is excellent or praiseworthy---think about such things.(NIV)
Twana, Tegucigalpa, Honduras
ReplyDelete1 John 1:18 "Dear children, let us stop just saying we love each other; let us really show it by our actions." (NLT)
Katie---Gardendale, AL
ReplyDelete[12] For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
(Hebrews 4:12 ESV)
Katherine - Wilsonville, AL
ReplyDeletePsalm 62:6 (ESV)
He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
I love the fact that I am not in control of this life.
Megan - Prattville, AL
ReplyDeleteEphesians 4:29 (ESV)
"Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear."
Jenny- Morris, Al
ReplyDeletePhilippians 4:8 (NIV)
"Finally brothers,whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things."
Joannie - Harpersville, AL
ReplyDeleteIsaiah 34:4 (NIV)
I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.
(MSG) God met me more than halfway, he freed me from my anxious fears.
I have been seeking the Lord regarding issues/fears. I am holding onto this verse for the Lord to provide the answers & relieve my fears in 2011!
Kirsten, Minneapolis, MN
ReplyDeleteEphesians 3:15-19
"I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." (NIV)
My friend was preaching on this passage this morning and shared that her quote in her high school yearbook was "rooted and overflowing"-these two words sum up this prayer in Ephesians well and this is my prayer as I begin the new year.
Correction to my post last night. My verse is from Psalms 34:4 not Isaiah. I was pulled between 2 different verse but its Pslams not Isaiah the verse in Isaish was not even 34:4. Its ok I was just checking to see who was on their toes & caught it. LOL Sorry, I will try to be more focused next time!
ReplyDeleteRomans 12:12 "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer."
ReplyDeleteI know I'm late posting, but I've been memorizing since the 1st!!! This verse spoke to me a lot when I was going through trying times in recent years and helped me to always look to Him and the future!
Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion.
ReplyDeleteFor the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him. Isaiah 30:18
"Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139:23-24
ReplyDeleteI follow a blog called aholyexperience.com by Ann Voskamp and she has a really neat post here
http://www.aholyexperience.com/category/spiritual-disciplines/
about sticking to new year's resolutions!
Leslie Summerville, SC
ReplyDeleteJOINING LATE--- But as they say-- Better late than never ;) VERY VERY excited about this!!! Just now got a breather from the moving!
"But we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance"
-Romans 5:3
-NIV (has to be an older version they've changed it in the newer ones)